Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tomatoes and Aging.

I may have used up the last of the nutritional yeast and all the whole wheat pasta, but I now have dinner and lunch for the rest of the week!
This is good, as I recklessly spent five dollars on tomatoes and yellow squash at the farmers' market at lunch, and another five dollars at Subway so as to be able to eat lunch with Kim without going home. (Was it worth it? It is ALWAYS worth it to eat with Kim!)
But, tonight's dinner, courtesy of Things Laying Around The Kitchen, was mac and cheez with peas and mushrooms- and, believe me- it was scrumptious. Less than 1/4 cup of oil in the whole shebang, too, which makes me happy.
Into the blender I put:
1 can of beer
1 cup (or so- maybe more) of nutritional yeast
About 1/8 cup of canola oil
1/5 block firm tofu- that extra extra firm kind from Trader Joe's
1/4 cup soy sauce
Paprika, smoked paprika, pepper, touch of turmeric
I blended it, and then I chopped 8 oz of cremini mushrooms and added those and cooked the whole thing on the stove for 10-15 minutes. I folded in most of a package of whole wheat rotini and a pound of peas (I cooked those together to save pots) and then baked the whole thing at 350 for like 25 minutes. Such an easy go-to dinner- with tons of leftovers! And, even omnis love it.
Dirty omnis.
I also ate 4 locally grown organic tomatoes. There is nothing like a sliced fresh tomato with Malden salt sprinkled over the top. It tastes like summer in heaven. The tomatoes I buy are from Avra Valley, and they are 2 dollars/pound. Not a splurge, honestly, for organic and delicious tomatoes, and they reminded me that spring is around the corner.
So, my produce budget for this weekend is 15 bucks. I need to buy some nutritional yeast with that (because I am a fiend for it) but I have still 4 heads of cauliflower and six pounds of potatoes- not to mention a yellow squash, a pound of tomatoes, and a thingie of organic romaine hearts.
I welcome your suggestions- what should I do with the 20 bucks of mad money I am giving myself from next week's paycheck? I turn 29 the Sunday after I get paid- any budget ideas for a birthday bash?

No comments:

Post a Comment